Full-Time Executive Assistant
Position: Executive Assistant (Calgary)
Does your dream job involve working every day with smart, strategic and values-driven people who are leading Canada’s transition to a clean energy future? Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment?
Are you excited about a career where you can apply your professional expertise as a critical member of the team that delivers clean energy solutions — backed by solid research and analysis — into the hands of Canada’s decision makers and key influencers?
We are Canada’s leading clean energy ‘think and do’ tank and we’d love to meet you.
The Pembina Institute is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant to join the team. This position reports to the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing overall administrative and executive support to the Strategic Partnerships unit of the Pembina Institute, which is primarily responsible for carrying out various organizational functions related to fund development. The Executive Assistant will be a key contact for all internal and external partners, carrying out a wide variety of activities and ensuring that the unit operates in an efficient and professional manner.
The full-time position may require some travel and occasional work on evenings and weekends.
The Pembina Institute is an independent, not-for-profit, internationally recognized thought leader on sustainable energy systems. It uniquely combines the public interest mandate and co-operative environment of a non-profit with the entrepreneurial culture of a small business and the intellectual rigour of a think tank.
The successful candidate will be joining a dynamic group of nationally recognized professionals who apply their technical acumen, industry knowledge, values and creativity to Canada’s most prominent and pressing sustainability challenges.
We offer a unique work environment that rewards good ideas and personal initiative, and that gives you the chance to collaborate with smart and experienced colleagues across disciplines and across the country. Openness to experimentation, innovation and changing our approach to become more efficient and effective is a trademark of our organizational culture.
Roles and Responsibilities
Strategic Partnerships, Pembina Institute (80%)
The Executive Assistant will have extensive knowledge of the various activities and responsibilities performed by the Director of Strategic Partnerships (DSP) in order to prepare the materials required for meetings with prospects and donors and to ensure effective participation in internal management and fund development committees. Assisting the DSP in preparing for key meetings will require interaction with senior Institute administrators and management staff, as well as donors, prospects, and corporations.
The primary responsibilities, deliverables, and accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide administrative support to the DSP through detailed management of the DSP`s itinerary.
• Manage ongoing internal/external communication, requests for information, tracking responses, recording minutes of calls, preparing reports, updating contact and database records, etc.
• Set up fundraising visits/calls with major prospects and donors, and Board Members
• Research, analyse and compile written materials related to foundations, major donors and corporations
• Create a variety of reports using SalesForce or other databases
• Create PowerPoint and other graphic presentations from a variety of sources
• Manage the submission of monthly expense account entries on behalf of the DSP
• Provide meeting support and logistics coordination, including: reserving meeting space, coordinating refreshments, facility set-up and tear-down, and preparing meeting materials
• Act as secretariat for monthly fund development meetings involving several internal groups
• Assist with the planning and executing key events related to fund development
Support to the Executive Director of the Pembina Foundation (20%)
The Director of the Strategic Partnerships for the Pembina Institute also carries out the role of Executive Director of the Pembina Foundation. Therefore, the Executive Assistant is also responsible for supporting the DSP in delivering on a wide variety of administrative duties in support of the Pembina Foundation.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Complete routine documents relating to the Foundation’s status as a registered charity with the Canada Revenue Agency
• Receive, process and acknowledge ongoing contributions from donors
• Respond to routine inquiries and track all correspondence with Foundation members and donors
• Make arrangements and take minutes for regular Foundation Board meetings
• Coordinate regular maintenance and updates for the Pembina Foundation website, with assistance from the communications unit
• Maintain and update all records of meetings, policies and procedures, financial statements and other official records of the Foundation
Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must clearly reflect the following skills and experience in their application:
• Possess strong administrative leadership and project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to manage concurrent projects under tight deadlines
• Previous EA experience an asset
• Fund Development experience and/or experience in the not-for-profit sector an asset
• Experience developing, monitoring and managing budgets
• Event planning aptitude and experience
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships with a wide range of individuals, including donors, staff, foundation representatives and other stakeholders
• Ability to demonstrate a high degree of diplomacy and tact
• Possess strong planning and organization skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Experience managing confidential information and adhering to privacy guidelines
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
• Experience in creating compelling and professional PowerPoint presentations with charts, graphs and animations
• Knowledge of SalesForce an asset
• Genuine interest in Pembina’s organizational goals and its approach
• Commitment to sustainability and social change (can be through educational, professional, and/or volunteer experience)
• Self-motivated and results-oriented, with drive and initiative
• A good sense of humour is an asset
Compensation and Benefits
• The salary rate is competitive for an Executive Assistant in established non-profit environmental organizations (although lower than rates paid in the government or corporate sectors) and will be based on skills, experience and qualifications of the successful candidate
• Extended health and dental benefits
• RRSP program
• Flexible work hours
• Four weeks of vacation a year
(Further terms of employment will be discussed with candidates during the interview process)